Jan 12, 2009

World population 6,765,432, +PLUS 1+

We were not prepared for chunk.......Who said "super-size him" ???
The pink blankets are for manditory "sensitivity" training

Somebody's been going back for seconds... and thirds!



This has been a crazy weekend. Early Friday morning we had our fourth baby, a boy. He was born at 7:45 and weighed 7 lbs. 15 oz. with most of that weight in his cheeks and chin. Just like his brother and sisters when he was born, he stopped breathing, his color turned blue and he was quickly whisked off to the NICU to try out a variety of breathing machines and ventilators. He ended up in respiratory distress and has spent all of his first days of his life in the care of the NICU nurses.

While we have been able to see him several times a day, and even hold him on occasion as his health permits, it was very difficult to leave for home on Sunday without him. Leslie, is recovering quickly and looks fantastic for four days postpartum. Seriously, she is the bravest woman I know. She just trudges thru the heartache of having a baby and not having a baby (well, Lortab helps too!).

Anyway, this little boy is improving dramatically. He is a champ and loves bring held by his mama. He can be in the middle of the biggest fit with all the tubes/cords/cables/ wires/lights/needles everywhere, but when Leslie calls his name, he'll stop, he is calm and quiet and he just looks for her touch. He loves her.

We are in and out of the hospital, we are completely grateful for and indebted to our wonderful family and close friends for your love and support. We know this challenge well and appreciate the care from the nurses and doctors.

Piper, Marley and Boden are excited to meet their baby brother. I often wonder what is going through their minds, with this weekend of chaos and a lot of TALK about a new brother. Piper, for sure, is holding out until she can see it for herself.

THANK YOU for keeping us in your prayers, we are blessed and grateful for those blessings everyday. THANK YOU!

16 comments:

Megan Jo Eddie said...

What a beautiful boy! He's so adorable. However, I wouldn't expect any different from the both of you. You have a VERY BEAUTIFUL FAMILY!. Please let me know if I can help with Boden for a day. Ashton would love it. Take care of yourselves. 478-9072

Stephanie said...

Congratulations Leslie! Koen is so so so cute! I hope everything goes well for him and for you and that you will get to bring him home soon!

Lane family said...

Driving away from the hospital with an empty car seat is the worst feeling of helplessness. He looks great though! Take lots of pictures- 6 years after Elle spent 2 weeks in NICU her favorite pictures of herself are still the ones where she is hooked up to 17 different machines. I love them too.

My Pyper had a really hard time when we finally brought Elle home. I think it's because we spent so much time away during that time. Hang in there- it gets better. He's gorgeous!

Bobbi said...

He is soooo sweet. My heavens Leslie, you look awesome in that picture at the hospital. NOFAIR!
I hope Koen is doing well.

Burrups said...

Congratulations! He looks beautiful! We will keep you all in our prayers.

Jen Merrill said...

we are staying healthy over here at the Merrill household... just waiting to hear of Koen's homecoming so we can scamper over and hold him! love you guys!

West Family said...

THANK YOU FOR POSTING - HE IS ADORABLE! CONGRATULATIONS. WE WILL KEEP YOUR FAMILY IN OUR PRAYERS TOO. TAKE CARE, VALERIE

HARKER FAMILY said...

Congrats he is a cutie. we like chubby cheek babies in this house. I cannot wait to see him. Congrats and hang in there little Koen in in our thougths and prayers.

Amishka said...

He is absolutely adorable. I love the hair and the chubby cheeks. Congratulations on your arrival and I hope things are going well.

The Williams Family said...

He is SUCH a cutie! Congratulations on your new little guy =). We will keep you in our prayers. We'll have to make another trip up sometime this year to meet Koen. I hope you guys can bring him home soon =)

Cassie and Chad said...

Oh my heck he is the cutest new born I have ever seen (and I have had six of them)! He is beautiful, I love, love, love those cheeks! I am so sorry that you can not bring him home yet. Congratulations and Leslie you look amazing!!!!

Stacy said...

Leslie is pretty brave. I am amazed at how strong she had been through this whole thing. I would be an emotional wreck. That's why I'm glad she is the older sister. She has to take care of me. I am so happy for you guys! Koen is adorable!!!!

aironn said...

Congratulations! I am praying you get to bring that big bundle of joy home soon. Let me know if the kids can come over and play. I'd love to help out any way I can!

trisherann said...

Love him! Congrats!

Chris and Shelly said...

I love the ones of his eyes open. I know that it is horrible trying to hold a baby with cords all wrapped around him. Hang in there. We'll keep praying for you. Do you know when he is coming home?

Amber said...

Congratulations on such a beautiful baby boy! I know it's very hard to drive away without your baby with you, but worth it all in the end. It's always good to know your baby is in good hands with wonderful doctors and nurses. I sure hope you get to bring him home this weekend that would be wonderful. You guys are in our prayers and we hope for the best for your little family.