Apr 15, 2008

Jam

So most people know that I don't cook very well. I really do try hard, and I like it but most of the time I forget to add something or I mess it up completely. Well, it so happens that I got a bug to make strawberry jam. So I got the cute containers and looked up recipes that looked easy and went all out, and I did it all by myself. This morning, I asked Cory to taste it with his toast and he was all pumped to try it. So I opened one jar, feeling really cool that I made jam, and when I put in the knife to take some out, it kind of looked like it had gummy worms in my jam. What in the world. So I stirred it around a bit and there were more. I didn't know what to say. I put the jam on his toast, and took the gummy things off, and had Cory tasted it. He said it was marvelous. Of course I don't believe him, and then I asked if he wanted a gummy worms to go with it. I don't know what I did. I think I might have cooked the gel to long or something. So, I think I'm done making jam for awhile. boo hoo.
By the way count how many times I used the word so. Sheesh!

9 comments:

aironn said...

You made jam? Good for you! I want some! I love strawberry jam!

Bobbi said...

Don't give up Leslie! I did the same thing with homeade rolls. They didn't look just like my mom's so I don't dare try it again. I think we both need to lower our standards!!

Lane family said...

Leslie, you totally crack me up! I love reading your blog, and your comments. You are the coolest girl! I will be in Poky the whole month of July- we should hang out.

Lane family said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

thats weird. i love making jam too. you should try the recipe where you do not have to cook anything- no stove needed.

Scott said...

From one crappy cook to another, I feel your pain. I've burn't something so bad that I buried the pan to get rid of the evidence. Cooking is a tricky business but I can say 1st hand that you make great smoky wisconsin cheese soup! I love Ya Leslie and you made me laugh until I cried tonight!! What a great way to end my day!!Soooo I'll talk to ya soon! Nat

Chris and Shelly said...

The jam looks good in the cute little containers.... I've made some jam (and I'm no cook) I just followed the recipe from the gelatin box. I did freezer jam though becuase it was the easiest. Try that one out:)

Scott said...

Leslie,
FYI -- in your Albertsons ad on Wednesday we printed a "easy recipe" for strawberry jam:

2 cups crushed fresh strawberries
1 cup sugar
1 package dry pectin
3/4 cup water

1. Mix crushed strawberries with sugar, and let stand for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, stir the pectin into the water in a small bowl over medium-high heat, and boil for 1 minute. Stir the boiling water into the strawberries. Allow to stand for 3 minutes before pouring into jars or other storage containers.

2. Place tops on the containers and leave for 24 hours. Place into freezer, and store frozen until ready to use

We have all the ingredients on sale this week. Don't you love Albertsons? We're crazy about food!

Anonymous said...

LISTEN Joe Albertson that IS the recipe I used .... I think maybe the second step was a bit too much for me?? (here's a note for your next staff meeting .... shorten the recipe to 1 easy step, ditch the pectin, double the sugar add some chocolate call it "Leslie's favorite squashed strawberry jam" Now that is completely do-able